Wednesday, February 1, 2012

February 1, 2012




My new book that I purchased at the Los Angeles Times Travel Show that I went to last weekend. Can not wait to read this. I really need to finish the book I'm currently reading so I can dive in!

After listening to Lisa Ling speak at this event, I watched her documentary on China's Lost Girls. It's a great documentary on the One-Child Policy in China. This policy allows each family to only have one child. They created the policy in 1978 to control the population. Families would prefer male children. Girls get married and leave the families and boys stay with the family to help out and care for the parents and grandparents. Mothers then feel social pressure to have a male child and may abort or abandon their baby girls. The documentary also follows American families who are adopting some of these abandoned baby girls. It's a great piece. Check it out!

The other part of my picture of the day is a news paper from the travel show and it has a title that I absolutely love. "Find your true north". It makes me happy!

Happy first day of February!

Here is the video on China's Lost Girls. http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/chinas_lost_girls

No comments:

Post a Comment